Why cook chicken en vessie?
It’s a technique that begins by enveloping the chicken breast in steam, before infusing the flavours of black truffle, foie gras and white wine inside the bladder. While this is happening, the chicken will be poached slowly in chicken broth. This method allows the steam to seep into the bladder, making the chicken extremely flavourful as it is marinated with different kinds of ingredients that each adds its own distinct taste to the dish. Containing the meat in the bladder during the cooking process also ensures that the chicken emerges moist and tender.
1. Soak the bladders to restore their suppleness, so that they can be used to poach the chicken more effectively.
2. Remove the legs of the chicken to make ballotine that will go with the main dish.
3. Insert seasoning under the skin of the chicken to add flavour and soak the chicken in brine for four hours.
4. After brining, squeeze the chicken into the bladder. Tie the bladder tightly and simmer it in a large pan of stock and vegetables. The bladder will start to inflate and rise to the top of the stock. Simmer for 40 minutes.
5. Break the bladder open and carve the breast out from the chicken before removing the skin.
6. Serve with the ballotine and a foie gras sauce.