So you've tried your hand at urban foraging with our handy how-to guide and you've picked yourself a basketful of purslane leaves. Why not turn them into this versatile pesto with our homemade recipe? It's fresh, light, and full of herbaceous aromas, and works perfectly as an accompaniment for crackers, as a topping for a seafood dish or stirred into a
guilt-free quinoa pasta.
- One bunch of Purslane
- 1 small clove of garlic
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 tsp honey salt and pepper to taste
- Remove purslane leaves from stems, discard stems.
- Combine purslane, garlic, walnuts and pumpkin seeds in the food processor and blend until you get the consistency you like (we prefer it grainy and not too runny).
- While blending, slowly pour olive oil in to allow the ingredients to come together.
- Season with lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper.
- Enjoy on toast or tossed with pasta.