When done right, it has all the elements of a comfort dish: Moist crumb, subtly sweet with just that right hint of nuttiness. The recipe here by popular homegrown bistro The Marmalade Pantry calls for a pretty swirl of lavender buttercream to add a pop of colour.
Here's the recipe in full.
Sugee cupcake, lemon curd filling, lavender butter cream
Makes 10 cupcakes
220g Unsalted butter
210g Sugar (divided into 100g and 110g)
3 Eggs (large)
80g All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking powder
¼ tsp Salt
60g Ground Almonds
25g Almond Nibs
1. Pre-heat the oven to 170 Degree Celsius.
2. Cream 220g of butter and 100g of sugar together.
3. Add in the semolina and milk and set the batter aside.
4. Whisk the eggs and 110g of sugar in a mixer until the mixture turns frothy.
5. In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients together.
6. Add half of the egg mixture to the butter mixture and fold in gently, until just combined. Then add in half of the flour mixture. Alternate between egg and flour mixture, and mix until just incorporated.
7. Line the baking tray with cupcake liners. Divide batter equally among liners (about 90g each).
8. Bake for 10 mins before rotating the tray and bake for another 15 mins until golden brown.
Lemon Curd Filling
320ml Lemon juice
4 Lemons (zest)
150g Unsalted butter
3 Eggs (large)
1. Combine the lemon zest and juice, sugar and butter into a heatproof bowl. Sit the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and stir the mixture until the butter has melted.
2. Lightly whisk the eggs and stir them into the lemon mixture. Whisk until all the ingredients are well combined, then leave to cook for 10-13 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is creamy and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
2 tbsp Dried Lavender
600g Unsalted butter
600g Icing Sugar
2 Pinches Salt
1. Infuse dried lavender in milk overnight.
2. Cream butter and sugar till fluffy.
3. Using a mixer, add the lavender-infused milk and salt to the mixture.
1. Once the cupcakes are cooled, use a pastry bag with an icing tip and fill the bag with lemon curd.
2. Insert the tip through the top of the cupcake and fill the cupcake with one to two tablespoons of filling.
3. Lastly, fill another pastry bag with lavender frosting and frost the top of the cupcake.
The best of the MICHELIN Experience in your inbox
Stay on top of the best restaurants, lifestyle, and events recommended in our guide cities.Subscribe