One Star Elcielo D.C. from Chef Juan Manuel Barrientos can be found adjacent to Union Market's La Cosecha. Presentation is the cornerstone here, with an admirable level of showmanship and dishes embody a love letter to the chef's native Colombia. This honey toffee mille-feuille with vanilla pastry cream and peach sauce pairs beautifully with Blue Bottle's Exceedingly Rare Colombia Mauricio Shattah Wush Wush, the newest Exceedingly Rare coffee in Blue Bottle's portfolio. And for two days only, August 18th and 19th, this duo is being served at Elcielo D.C.
Blue Bottle's Exceedingly Rare Colombia Mauricio Shattah Wush Wush coffee is grown and processed at Mauricio Shattah’s coffee estate, Finca la Negrita, in Tolima, Colombia, between Bogota and Cali. Blue Bottle's Exceedingly Rare line is a taste of the future of specialty coffee and highlights experimental processes, up-and-coming regions and rare varieties. Among these is Mauricio Shattah Wush Wush. Where you would typically expect the caramel flavors and warmth of Colombian coffees, this multi-stage processing method gives the coffee layers upon layers of bright citrus and juicy stone fruit flavor with aromatics of fresh jasmine and budding rose.
- 1 pack of store-bought puff pastry
- 200 gr of cane sugar
- 120 ml of water
- 120 gr of heavy cream
- 20 gr of butter
- 1 whole egg
- Roll the puff pastry and flatten it. Pinch the dough throughout the surface with a fork.
- Whisk an egg and apply it to the surface prior to placing in the oven.
- Preheat the oven at 400°F/200°C and bake the dough at the same temperature for 15 minutes
- On the side make a caramel with the sugar and the water until golden brown, then add heavy cream and whisk to make a sauce. Add butter to emulsify the mixture.
- After the puff pastry is cooked and settled, apply the toffee on top.
- 250 gr of milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 100 gr of cane sugar
- 20 gr of corn starch
- 15 gr of butter
- 1-2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Whisk the egg yolks and the sugar until ribbon state, then add the corn starch and mix again until the mix is even.
- On the side, heat the milk with the vanilla extract on a pot until boiling point.
- Add half of the milk to the previous mixture, then place everything back into the pot
- Heat and mix continuously until cream starts to thicken.
- Once bubbles appear, remove from heat.
- Add butter, mix again and strain through a sift.
- Place plastic wrap to cover the mixture, refrigerate until cold, then mix again.
- Peel and dice the peaches.
- Place in pot with sugar and honey to cook.
- Remove from heat and infuse with the elderflower. Allow to cool.
To Assemble The Dish
Cut puff pastry into sections, then layer sections on top of each other with pastry cream and peach sauce in between each layer. Enjoy with a cup of Blue Bottle Coffee's newest Exceedingly Rare: Exceedingly Rare Colombia Mauricio Shattah Wush Wush.