1. CASA SILENCIO - Oaxaca, MexicoWhat was previously just a working distillery owned by the El Silencio mezcal brand is now one of the most extraordinary hotels in all of Mexico, a spectacular compound of modern buildings constructed from rustic rammed earth, timber, and tile.
2. THE REX -Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania
The Poconos are finally having their Catskills-like resurgence. This is where the Rex comes in. With just ten units it’s a small and stylish boutique hotel, combining the charms of the country with the comforts city dwellers are used to.
3. LE DOMAINE DU MAS DE PIERRE - Saint Paul de Vence, France
These days, the greatest luxury to be had in the south of France is a little privacy. The most sought-after experience is that of being a guest in a private home — which explains the appeal of a place like Le Mas de Pierre.
4. THE STANDARD HUA HIN - Hua-Hin, Thailand
The Standard Hua Hin finds itself in a former fishing village that’s now the heart of what’s sometimes called the Thai Riviera. This is a region that’s no stranger to upscale resorts, but none are quite as youthful and vibrant as this.
5. AETHOS SARAGANO - Perugia, Italy
The picturesque hilltop hamlet of Saragano, surrounded by old Roman walls, has collectively been transformed into a hotel — an “albergo diffuso” — and is now open to "conscious explorers” as Aethos Saragano.