- 2 cups sugar (400g)
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour (205g)
- 1 cup Valrhona cocoa powder (128g)
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda (10g)
- ½ tsp baking powder (2g)
- ½ tsp. salt (4g)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup safflower oil (118ml)
- 1 cup buttermilk (237ml)
- 1 cup water (237ml)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Line the bottom of each pan with parchment paper and lightly spray again.
- In a large bowl sift the dry ingredients (sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt) together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients (Safflower oil, vanilla extract, buttermilk, and water) together.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients while whisking to insure there are no lumps, and the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Portion the cake batter into the two pans evenly and allow the cake to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Place in the oven and bake until you a light touch on the top the cake springs back or a cake tester inserted comes out clean.
- Transfer the cakes to wire racks and let cool completely, about 2 hours. Unmold the cakes and remove the parchment paper from the bottom. Use a serrated knife and cut each cake in half, horizontally.
- Place a bottom layer of the cake on a plate or cake board. Evenly spread 1/3 of the malted ganache on top. Repeat the process twice with top halves of each cake and then top with the remaining bottom half of the cake, bottom – side up. You should have three layers of ganache and four layers of cake.
- Transfer the Marshmallow frosting to a pastry bag fitted with a round 5/8 inch tip (Ateco #808).
- Pip frosting over the cake evenly, and spread using a small offset spatula. Using a blowtorch, toast the frosting evenly until lightly browned.
Malted Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup heavy cream (240g)
- ¾ cup malted milk powder (95g)
- 1 cup chopped milk chocolate (6oz)
- 1 ½ cup chopped dark chocolate (9oz)
- In a small sauce pan whisk together the cream and malt powder and bring to a boil.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and let stand for 1 min.
- Using an immersion blender, blend for at least 3 minutes, until shinny and smooth.
- Let stand at room temperature for at least 6 hours before building the cake.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar (198g)
- ¼ cup water (236ml)
- Place the water a small sauce pot and place the sugar on top. Make sure it is fully hydrated and has the consistency of wet sand.
- Place the egg whites in an electric mixer with the whisk attachment.
- Start to cook the sugar on medium heat. When the sugar begins to boil, turn the mixer on medium speed. Cook the sugar to 250°F (120°C) using a candy thermometer to read the temperature.
- Slowly pour the hot sugar down the side of the mixing bowl into the whipping whites. Turn the mixer up to medium high and continue to whip until cool.
- Immediately frost the cake.
Hero image: Jean-Georges's chocolate cake with malted chocolate ganache and toasted marshmallow frosting. Photo courtesy Jean-Georges