Keep the holiday spirit going with gravlax toast from Two MICHELIN Star Aquavit chef Emma Bengtsson. Pair it with a glass of Champagne for an indulgent snack, or serve it as an entrée to a Scandinavian feast. You can find gravlax at all bagel shops, many supermarkets, and at delis.
1/4 sourdough loaf
1 nub of butter
4 tbsp of dill and mustard sauce (see below)
1 twig of dill for garnish
1. Make the sauce in advance and place in fridge to set for 30 minutes while preparing the rest (see below)
2. Slice the sourdough into thin slices
3. Coat the slices with butter and toast them in a pan until golden brown and crispy
4. Fold the gravlax into a rose and place on the toast
5. Spoon the sauce over and around the salmon
6. Decorate with a slice of lemon and a twig of dill
Dill and mustard sauce (classic Swedish hovmästar sauce)
½ tbsp sugar
3 twigs of dill
½ lemon, juiced
1 tsp whole grain mustard
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp brewed espresso
2 tsp honey
½ cup canola oil
Salt to taste
1. Start by chopping up the dill. Place the dill and the sugar on the cutting board and keep chopping the two of them together until the dill is finely minced, creating a dill-sugar mixture.
2. Transfer the dill and sugar to a bowl. Add the mustards, honey, and espresso.
3. Secure the bowl so it's steady (place a napkin underneath the bowl or have someone hold it) and start to slowly feed in the oil under constant whisking.
4. Halfway through adding the oil, add the lemon juice (it will help you from breaking the emulsion).
5. Add the rest of the oil and season with salt.