San Francisco Proper Hotel
Add to favorites
Here, in what’s often described as America’s most European city, designer Kelly Wearstler has drawn inspiration from a number of European design movements, combining the expected Victorian and Art Deco currents with Cubism to Bauhaus and beyond, paying special attention to the graphic arts, with bold patterns and vibrant illustrations adorning the walls.
The Proper Hotels have plenty of personality, as well as a professional sheen that’s expressed in particularly fine details, like handmade Aireloom mattresses and Danish-designed Vifa sound systems. It’s a luxurious experience, but not an opulent one, and the difference can often be razor-thin — what makes the Proper a proper hotel, rather than a pretender, is its impeccable taste.
On the ground floor you’ll find Villon, a restaurant and lounge, and La Bande, a more casual café and market, both overseen by the Michelin-starred chef Jason Fox. And on the roof of this classic flatiron building you’ll find Charmaine’s, a rooftop bar and lounge with an extraordinary panoramic view of the city, making the most of the hotel’s extremely central Mid-Market location.
Guest Score & Reviews
No verified stays yet.
Scores are on a 20-point scale, from verified guest reviews. The quality score helps ensure that our selection stays fresh and vital.
Amenities & Services
- Free wi-fi
- Self service parking (charges apply)
- Valet parking
- Honesty Bar
- Room service
- 24 hour room service
- 100% non-smoking hotel
- 24 hour front desk
- Adjoining rooms
- Air conditioning
- ATM/bank office
- Wake-up service
- Rooftop terrace bar
- Luggage storage
- Pet Friendly
- Pets allowed (charges apply)
- Bikes available
- Shopping area nearby
- EV Charging Station
- Wheelchair accessible
- Shuttle service
Need to Know
- Dogs are allowed for a fee of USD 100 per stay, per pet. Up to 2 dogs (sorry no cats) are allowed, not to exceed 35 lbs. per pet.
- Must be 21 years or older to check in.
- Guests age 18 and up must be booked as adults. Children 17 years and younger stay free with a parent or guardian using existing bedding in the room.
- Pricing shown is for up to 2 adults in each room.
Credit cards accepted
Sustainability Measures and Certifications
Guest Rooms and Public Spaces
- Uses energy-efficient heating and cooling
- Uses energy-efficient lighting
- Cleans with eco-friendly products
- Stocks eco-friendly shampoo and soap
- No single-use plastic straws
- No single-use plastic toiletries
- No single-use plastics
- Provides charging for electric vehicles
- Sources produce from local farms
- Creates seasonal menus from locally sourced produce
- Offers vegan menu options
- Composts food waste
- Reduces food waste
- Sources wine from organic and biodynamic vineyards
Community and Environment
- Purchases from locally owned businesses
- Hires locally with fair wages, benefits, and advancement
- Actively supports the needs of the local community
- Trains staff in sustainability best practices
- Provides volunteer opportunities for guests and staff
- Measures and reduces water waste