Add to favorites
This is the sort of place one visits in order to truly get away from it all — the Pousada is some three and a half hours from either of Brazil's major cities, and after that long drive you will find it's impossible to drive all the way to the hotel, as when the road ends you are still a path and a foot bridge away (250m).
The hotel itself is as charming as they come, with a bit of a rustic tone to its whitewashed exterior and an unpretentious and spare stylishness to its interiors. All of the bedrooms have views over the bay or onto a large garden, and the rooms lack telephones and internet service, in a gesture of forced relaxation, and a welcome one at that. Ceiling fans and mosquito netting replace air conditioning, another deliberate gesture, opening the room to the sea breeze and the views.
In fact this hotel quite successfully carries off the illusion of an informal guest house — visitors walk on the ungroomed beach, explore the village or the nearby town of Paraty, or partake in diving, sailing, or horseback riding before gathering back at the Pousada for an informal family-style dinner. All in all, this is a well kept secret, a throwback to the days before mass corporate tourism, and the perfect antidote to the big-business resort norm.
Travel advisory: Passport and visa requirements differ from country to country. Please check with your local authority before booking.
How to get there: Picinguaba is located 30 miles from Paraty, half-way between Rio and São Paulo.
Booking Details: Pousada Picinguaba requires additional information from guests to ensure the best stay possible. As such, reservations can only be confirmed through our customer service team. Contact us for assistance. This hotel generally has limited weekend availability. Rates begin at 255 BRL per night.
Guest Score & Reviews
No verified stays yet.
Scores are on a 20-point scale, from verified guest reviews. The quality score helps ensure that our selection stays fresh and vital.
Amenities & Services
- Self service parking (charges apply)
- Outdoor swimming pool
- Spa treatments (on request)
- 100% non-smoking hotel
- 24 hour front desk
- Babysitting (on request)
- Multi-lingual staff
- Wood burning fireplace
- No pets allowed
- Cribs (subject to availability)
- Swimming pool
Need to Know
- There is no direct car access to the hotel, which is a 5 minute's walk up the hills from the beach.
- Children are welcome and there are frequently families staying during holiday times.
- Children under 4 years old stay for free. Cots, highchairs and babysitting can be arranged.
- The hotel is located inside a national park, insect repellent is recommended as there are mosquitoes (though there's no malaria and there are less mosquitoes March-Sept).
- Eligible Plus reservations: Welcome amenities may be delivered to your room after you check in. A “Do Not Disturb” status may impact the delivery of these amenities.
Credit cards accepted