Add to favorites
It’s impossible, or at least inadvisable, to open a boutique hotel in Athens — in the heart of one of the most important historic centers of Europe — without somehow grounding it within the city’s historical and cultural landscape. But the designers of AthensWas have gone about the task in a particularly clever way. The hotel isn’t a recreation of ancient days, nor a modern hotel with a few framed black and white photos of the Parthenon. Instead, its an homage to the city’s swinging Sixties.
Those were golden and glamorous days in the Greek capital: classic modernism was all the rage. So it is at AthensWas. There’s sumptuous Greek marble and native wood, but instead of dramatic columns and colorful mosaics, the interiors are all clean lines and elegant simplicity with a vintage twist. Guest rooms feature cool wood-paneled walls, mod furnishings, pops of color in retro orange and blue, and, yes, a few framed photos of Greek antiquities, should you wake up in the middle of the night and forget where you are. Each guest room has a private veranda and a Nespresso machine; the better ones offer views of the Acropolis.
If you can’t see any world-famous historic landmarks from the vantage point of your bed, simply head on up to the rooftop bar, where you can see ancient ruins and the sea at sunset. It’s the place to participate in that time-honored Greek pastime: sitting outside and indulging in rich food and drink. There’s not a swimming pool — this is, we repeat, the middle of an ancient historic center — but there’s a small fitness center, and the SENSE restaurant, serving stylish, lighter takes on traditional Greek cuisine. There’s plenty to see and do right outside the hotel’s doors, obviously. But you might consider returning to the hotel’s enviable rooftop for a nightcap. Shots of ouzo, anyone? When in Athens….
Guest Score & Reviews
No verified stays yet.
Scores are on a 20-point scale, from verified guest reviews. The quality score helps ensure that our selection stays fresh and vital.
Amenities & Services
- Free wi-fi
- Room service
- 100% non-smoking hotel
- 24 hour front desk
- Doctor on call
- Adjoining rooms
- Air conditioning
- Babysitting (on request)
- Wake-up service
- Rooftop terrace bar
- Luggage storage
- No pets allowed
- Shopping area nearby
- Shuttle service
- Designated smoking area
Need to Know
- Baby cots and extra beds are available on request in the following room categories: Classic Room, Residence Suite, AthensWas Suite and
- Executive Suite.
- Extra beds have a supplement of 70 EUR per person/night.
- Eligible Plus reservations: Welcome amenities may be delivered to your room after you check in. A “Do Not Disturb” status may impact the delivery of these amenities.
Credit cards accepted
Sustainability Measures and Certifications
Guest Rooms and Public Spaces
- Conserves energy when rooms are empty
- Uses energy-efficient heating and cooling
- Uses energy-efficient lighting
- Cleans with eco-friendly products
- Stocks eco-friendly shampoo and soap
- Gives guests the option to reuse linens and towels
- No single-use plastic straws
- Offers vegan menu options
Community and Environment
- Hires locally with fair wages, benefits, and advancement
- Trains staff in sustainability best practices
- Trains staff in local cultural heritage