1864 The Sea Captain's House
Add to favorites
Scores are on a 20-point scale, from verified guest reviews. The quality score helps ensure that our selection stays fresh and vital.
First of all, even on Santorini, there are locations, and then there are locations. Oia, at the top of the inner crescent, is probably the island’s most picturesque town, its terraced residences cascading precipitously down the cliffside. The Sea Captain’s House joins them — with just four suites (and no reception or other common space), it’s scarcely a hotel at all, presenting what’s essentially an idealized, luxe version of Oian village life.
That means jacuzzis in every suite, for one, and an approach to decorating that goes beyond the stripped-down Greek-island norm — there are hints of the baroque in these bedrooms, with their antique woodwork and gilded mirrors. It’s all in the name of character, though, rather than pure flash; the scale of the place prevents it ever feeling over-opulent.
Please note: 1864 The Sea Captain's House is a seasonal hotel open March thru mid-December.
How to get there:
Santorini (Thira) can be easily reached by plane or ferry. Flight time from Athens is approximately 45 minutes. Ferries from Athens' Pireaus port to Thira take approximately 6-7 hours.
Credit cards accepted
- Age 12 and up are considered adults.
- The Captain's Suite and Cave Suite can accommodate 4 guests for an additional charge of 50 Euro per person per night.
- Children under 12 years of age not allowed due to safety precautions.
- Check-in is from 3pm - 10pm. If you plan to arrive later than 10pm please arrange in advance.
- Breakfast is available daily 9am thru noon.
- The hotel is happy to arrange transportation from Santorini Airport and/or Port(surcharge). Guests are kindly requested to inform the hotel in advance if they would like to make use of this service.
Amenities & Services
- Free wi-fi
- Off street parking
- 100% non-smoking hotel
- Doctor on call
- Adjoining rooms
- Air conditioning
- Multi-lingual staff
- Luggage storage
- No pets allowed
- Wine tours nearby
- Shopping area nearby
Sustainability Measures and Certifications
Guest Rooms and Public Spaces
- Uses energy-efficient heating and cooling
- Uses energy-efficient lighting
- Cleans with eco-friendly products
- Stocks eco-friendly shampoo and soap
- Gives guests the option to reuse linens and towels
- No single-use plastic straws
Community and Environment
- Purchases from locally owned businesses
- Hires locally with fair wages, benefits, and advancement
- Actively supports the needs of the local community
- Trains staff in sustainability best practices
- Trains staff in local cultural heritage
- Provides volunteer opportunities for guests and staff
- Measures and reduces water waste