On the menu at Aquavit are crispy crab fritters served with a side of espelette mayonnaise. As seen on the MICHELIN Star Revelation for New York, here’s how to make the fritters at home.
Crab FrittersCourtesy of Executive Chef Emma Bengtsson, Aquavit, New York City
5.3 ounces onion, braised and cut into brunoise
3.5 ounces butter
10 ounces crab meat, excess water drained
5.3 ounces cream cheese
2 teaspoons horseradish
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 whole eggs
1 cup panko
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Oil, for frying
1. Heat a medium skillet over medium flame; add onion and butter to the pan and cook until onion is white and translucent. Cool and reserve.
2. Combine onions, crab, cream cheese, horseradish, lemon zest, salt and cayenne in a bowl and mix to combine. Place in freezer for 30 minutes to firm.
3. Roll the batter into 1-inch balls and place on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper; freeze again for 30 minutes.
4. Whisk the eggs and place into a bowl; add panko and flour to two separate bowls. Dip the crab balls into the flour, then dip in egg wash and finally into the panko. Place on a new sheet tray lined with parchment paper and store in a freezer until oil temperature is ready for frying.
5. Heat 2 quarts oil to 350˚F; place crab balls in oil and fry until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes; remove and drain on paper towel and serve immediately.
Photo courtesy of Aquavit.