Last month, chef Joe announced his move to join his parents at Forest 森 as a Junior Sous Chef, marking his first foray into the professional Chinese kitchen and making it a truly family affair at the contemporary Chinese restaurant in Resorts World Sentosa.
This Black Sesame Lava Cake epitomizes the young chef’s philosophy of bringing a modern twist to Asian desserts in terms of textures and presentation. “My family used to enjoy the Chinese dessert of Black sesame soup at home all the time when I was growing up. That’s how I got the inspiration to create this dish – black sesame reminds me of my childhood and I wanted to create a modern version making use of ideas and techniques I have learnt over the last seven years.”
160g dark chocolate (preferably 64%)
120g unsalted butter
60g cake flour
5 eggs (about 55-60g)
100g black sesame paste
For the black sesame puree:
100g black sesame paste
1. Coat a muffin pan with butter and dust lightly with flour.
2. In a glass bowl, melt the dark chocolate, black sesame paste and unsalted butter in a microwave oven for 40 seconds at a time.
3. Add in cream and mix well, sift the flour into the chocolate mixture and mix well.
4. In a mixer, whisk the eggs together with sugar at high speed for about 5 mins until light and fluffy.
5. Add 1/3 of the whipped eggs into the chocolate mixture and fold till mixed well. Add another third and fold, and repeat again with the last third, being careful not to over work the mixture.
6. Pour the cake mixture into the muffin pan till each well is about 70% full and leave to rest in the fridge for at least an hour.
7. Prepare the sesame puree by heating up the sesame paste in the microwave a little to soften the paste, and then whisk in the cream till it forms a thick but runny consistency.
8. Pre-heat an oven at 165C and bake the cakes for 7 mins.
9. While the cakes are baking, spoon about half a tablespoon of the black sesame puree onto a plate. To get the artistic plating design pictured, press a large cup with a flat bottom firmly down into the puree and lift up.
10. Remove the cake from the oven and un-mold it on the plate.
11. Serve with a quenelle of ice cream.
Equarius Hotel, Lobby
8 Sentosa Gateway, Resorts World Sentosa
For reservations, Tel: +65 6577 7788 / +65 6577 6688
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com