Now, he helms fine-dining Cantonese restaurant and celebrity hangout China Tang in the posh Landmark mall in Hong Kong, where he serves up creative interpretations of traditional dishes, adhering to classical Chinese cooking techniques.
Watch as the affable chef demonstrates this simple but flavourful dish of claypot beef short rib braised with aromatics:
480g beef short rib
5g cinnamon stick
5g bay leaf
5g star anise
1 black cardamom (cao guo)
30g red onion
30g spring onion
5g minced garlic
600ml beef or chicken stock
10g rock sugar
3g beef bouillon powder
5g oyster sauce
5g seasoning sauce (Maggi)
5g teriyaki sauce
1. Stir-fry the short ribs on each side till fragrant and browned on all sides. Set aside.
2. Steam the cinnamon stick, bay leaf, star anise and black cardamom.
3. In a claypot, stir-fry scallion, onion, spring onion and minced garlic till fragrant. Place the short ribs on top of the vegetables, followed by the steamed spices.
4. Pour in the stock and add the seasoning to taste.
5. Cover and simmer in the claypot for about 1 hour 45 minutes.
6. Cut the ribs into smaller pieces and serve with steamed white rice.