The Surfrider Malibu
Add to favorites
The look is pared-down and elegant, a sort of bohemian minimalism, the 20 rooms decorated in light neutrals that are full of organic textures, from the reclaimed teak floorboards to the modern-rustic furnishings created by local designers. Upstairs rooms have private terraces with partial or full views of the Pacific. They’re far from lavish or opulent but they’re luxurious in their details, and life here is anything but difficult — though more than a little bit glamorous, the vibe here is light-hearted and fun.
And while some of our favorite hotels use their public spaces to interact with the local scene, the Surfrider’s roof terrace restaurant and bar is for guests only, in keeping with the intent of the hotel: more a private Malibu beach house than a typical boutique hotel. It’s a refuge, but not an isolated one — the views of the pier, the Pacific, and one of California’s most famous beaches lend it an unmistakable sense of place.
Please note: The Surfrider Malibu is a small property with only 20 rooms. Book early as rooms sell out quick. For a view, book an upstairs room — if storage space is a concern, book a suite. For arrival, be aware that the reception is open from 6:30 AM until 10:30 PM.
Guest Score & Reviews
No verified stays yet.
Scores are on a 20-point scale, from verified guest reviews. The quality score helps ensure that our selection stays fresh and vital.
Amenities & Services
- Free wi-fi
- Self service parking (charges apply)
- Room service
- 100% non-smoking hotel
- Adjoining rooms
- Air conditioning
- Rooftop terrace bar
- Luggage storage
- No pets allowed
- Wine tours nearby
- Shopping area nearby
- EV Charging Station
- Cribs (subject to availability)
Need to Know
- The roof deck bar and restaurant is available exclusively to guests only and is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and all things in between from 7 am - 9 pm. Reservations are required for groups of 5 or more.
- Complimentary foam-top surfboards, stand-up paddle boards, and yoga mats are available as well as beach chairs, umbrellas, wetsuits, and towels.
- Complimentary morning coffee delivery upon request.
- Self-Parking for one car is offered at $18.75 per night.
- Cancellations and modifications are considered confirmed upon receipt of a cancellation email.
- Group bookings of 7 of more rooms require that all rooms are paid upfront in full for the entirety of the stay. This will be a non refundable transaction and apply to anyone that is traveling together, regardless of when the booking was made. All reservations are non cancellable and non modifiable once made.
- Bookings of 10 or more nights will automatically incur an extended 30 day cancellation policy.
- Eligible Plus reservations: Welcome amenities may be delivered to your room after you check in. A “Do Not Disturb” status may impact the delivery of these amenities.
Credit cards accepted