Post Ranch Inn
Add to favorites
Of course what Highway 1 mostly features is natural beauty, and some of the last unspoiled places in America. It would be difficult for any man-made structure to compete with these cliffside views of the Pacific, or the majesty of the redwood forests; but this strange and decadent little hotel holds its own.
Modernist architect Mickey Muennig settled in Big Sur in 1971, and has been responsible for most of its notable buildings ever since. Post Ranch Inn is his only hotel design, and indeed it’s hard to imagine it translating into some kind of movable hotel template, comprising as it does a number of discreet house designs, each uniquely suited to its location.
The Tree Houses, for example, are almost exactly as advertised, built on nine-foot stilts and camouflaged amongst (if not actually nailed to the branches of) the redwood trees. Ocean rooms, on the other hand, are close to the cliff’s edge, nearly all glass to take in the view, and blend into the hillside, with grasses and wildflowers covering the sloping roofs.
More traditional is the cuisine, another of Post Ranch Inn’s big draws. Sierra Mar is a local favorite and a Michelin Guide selection as well, a first-rate restaurant (with a first-rate wine list) that is either delightfully incongruous with or else perfectly matched to its location, depending on your point of view.
There are no televisions here — peace and quiet carry the day. This place is built for relaxation, from the oversized spa tubs and the massage tables in the guest rooms to the infinity pool a thousand feet above the Pacific. Possibly the best place in California to leave it all behind.
Please note: All guests must be at least 18 years old.
How to get there: Post Ranch Inn is approximately a one-hour drive from Monterey Peninsula Airport and between 2 and 2.5 hours from San Jose Airport.
Guest Score & Reviews
No verified stays yet.
Scores are on a 20-point scale, from verified guest reviews. The quality score helps ensure that our selection stays fresh and vital.
Amenities & Services
- Free wi-fi
- Free parking
- Outdoor swimming pool
- 100% non-smoking hotel
- No pets allowed
- EV Charging Station
- Swimming pool
- Adults only
Need to Know
- Rooms cannot accommodate cribs or extra beds.
- Eligible Plus reservations: Welcome amenities may be delivered to your room after you check in. A “Do Not Disturb” status may impact the delivery of these amenities.
Credit cards accepted
Sustainability Measures and Certifications
Guest Rooms and Public Spaces
- Uses renewable energy
- Uses energy-efficient heating and cooling
- Uses energy-efficient lighting
- Cleans with eco-friendly products
- Stocks eco-friendly shampoo and soap
- Gives guests the option to reuse linens and towels
- No single-use plastic straws
- No single-use plastic toiletries
- No single-use plastics
- Provides charging for electric vehicles
- Farms organic or hydroponic produce on property
- Sources produce from local farms
- Creates seasonal menus from locally sourced produce
- Offers vegan menu options
- Composts food waste
- Reduces food waste
- Sources wine from organic and biodynamic vineyards
Community and Environment
- Purchases from locally owned businesses
- Hires locally with fair wages, benefits, and advancement
- Actively supports the needs of the local community
- Trains staff in sustainability best practices
- Trains staff in local cultural heritage
- Provides volunteer opportunities for guests and staff
- Restores and protects natural ecosystems and wildlife
- Measures and reduces water waste
- Measures and reduces carbon emissions