Mama Ruisa Boutique Hotel
Add to favorites
The elegant century-old house has old bones that are evident throughout, from the soaring ceilings and generously sized guest rooms to a curving wooden staircase and an airy front porch that’s just screaming out for you to kick back on a rocking chair with a book and a glass of lemonade. As wholesome as that sounds, Mama Ruisa doesn’t feel like a rambling country estate: the place has an urban edge, too, carefully cultivated by its French-Brazilian owner.
The mansion’s original decorations have been stripped down, the oil paintings replaced with drawings by Jean Cocteau, the ornate lacquered furniture replaced by simple wooden coffee tables, canopied beds kicked out in favor of a minimalist look with crisp white linens and boldly printed fabrics. The more timeless elements of the original design — like the hardwood floors and floor-to-ceiling doors opening onto private balconies — remain in the themed suites, each of which takes inspiration from a Francophile hero (or heroine) like Josephine Baker or Colette.
The grand, impossibly sleek living room — open to the ocean breeze, of course, by way of ceiling-high French doors — is almost as good-looking as the mansion’s lush swimming pool, shaded by a fringe of palm trees. The million-dollar view, though, is from Mama Ruisa’s main terrace. Thanks to the hotel’s hilltop position, guests can take in the sweeping vista over the Guanabara bay — and consider the masses crowding the beaches below — while feasting on tropical fruits for breakfast and feeling generally superior.
Travel advisory: Passport and visa requirements differ from country to country. Please check with your local authority before booking.
Guest Score & Reviews
No verified stays yet.
Scores are on a 20-point scale, from verified guest reviews. The quality score helps ensure that our selection stays fresh and vital.
Amenities & Services
- Free wi-fi
- Free parking
- Room service
- Outdoor Swimming Pool (seasonal)
- Spa treatments (on request)
- 24 hour front desk
- Doctor on call
- Adjoining rooms
- Air conditioning
- Babysitting (on request)
- Wake-up service
- Luggage storage
- No pets allowed
- Shopping area nearby
- Swimming pool
- Shuttle service
Need to Know
- When booking more than 4 rooms, different policies and additional supplements may apply.
- WiFi is available in all areas and is free of charge.
- No parking available.
- Pets are not allowed.
- Children of any age are allowed.
- Children up to and including 3 years old stay for free when using an available cot.
- Children up to and including 12 years old stay for R$ 600 per person per night when using an existing bed.
- Adults stay for R$ 600 per person per night when using an available extra bed.
- Any type of extra bed or child's cot/crib is upon request and needs to be confirmed by management.
- Supplements are not calculated automatically in the total costs and will have to be paid for separately during your stay.
Credit cards accepted