Copacabana Palace, A Belmond Hotel, Rio de Janeiro
Add to favorites
That’s no reflection on this hotel, though: the Belmond Copacabana Palace is still the place to live the fantasy of the Rio of decades gone by. Built in 1923, at the birth of the Jazz Age, this gleaming white edifice towers over Copacabana Beach, patterned after a couple of other classic seaside hotels, the Negresco in Nice and the Carlton in Cannes.
It’s odd to think of the hotel as having been a copy, so thoroughly has it become a symbol of retro Rio glamour, a romance that’s still alive around the pool terrace, where well-to-do visitors mingle with shapely Cariocas under the mid-day sun, and in the Copacabana Piano Bar, where guests from all walks of celebrity life hide out from the paparazzi and try not to think of Barry Manilow.
Perhaps one reason this palace’s star hasn’t faded — it’s been quite well kept up, meticulously renovated, with a few modern enhancements, like the lighting system that keeps the Belle Epoque facade shining bright into the night. The guest rooms are classic in style, with not a hint of minimalism, and a sort of caste system is strictly enforced, as is usual in a hotel like this: forget about a standard room facing the beach, as they simply don’t exist.
Splurge a little, though, and you can have a suite with a postcard view of Copacabana. Or settle for a humbler standard, take in the Rio skyline and beyond, and spend some time in the public spaces, marveling at the décor as well as the clientele. The restaurants are quite up to snuff, the pool deck is a sight, and Copacabana Beach is the kind of place you have to see before you die — why not do it in high style?
Guest Score & Reviews
No verified stays yet.
Scores are on a 20-point scale, from verified guest reviews. The quality score helps ensure that our selection stays fresh and vital.
Amenities & Services
- Free wi-fi
- Self service parking (charges apply)
- Valet parking
- Room service
- 24 hour room service
- Outdoor swimming pool
- Spa treatments (on request)
- Turkish bath
- Beauty salon
- Steam rooms
- 24 hour front desk
- Doctor on call
- Adjoining rooms
- Air conditioning
- Babysitting (on request)
- Smoking rooms (on request)
- Luggage storage
- Pet Friendly
- Pets allowed (charges apply)
- Business center
- Bikes available
- Cribs (subject to availability)
- Swimming pool
- Tennis court
- Shuttle service
- Designated smoking area
Need to Know
- Pets are allowed at R$ 750 per stay.
- Extra bed are available at R$ 400 per day for children 3 thru 15 years old.
- Please book a second room for additional guests 16 and older.
Credit cards accepted
Sustainability Measures and Certifications
Guest Rooms and Public Spaces
- Conserves energy when rooms are empty
- Uses renewable energy
- Uses energy-efficient heating and cooling
- Uses energy-efficient lighting
- Cleans with eco-friendly products
- Gives guests the option to reuse linens and towels
- No single-use plastic straws
- No single-use plastic toiletries
- No single-use plastics
- Offers vegan menu options
- Reduces food waste
Community and Environment
- Purchases from locally owned businesses
- Hires locally with fair wages, benefits, and advancement
- Actively supports the needs of the local community
- Trains staff in sustainability best practices
- Trains staff in local cultural heritage
- Measures and reduces water waste